Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

Aircraft AHRS using MEMS

Aircraft AHRS using MEMS

Juaxs
    New Poster

Im currently working on a attitude and heading reference system for ultralight aviation (real aircafts), which are under motion condition like turns and takeoff accelerations, that usually affects the reading of the pitch and roll angles on common filters like Madwick, Mahony and EKF, due the long tterm accelerations.

I started to look for embedded sensors with integrated fusion algorithms and i found the Sensortec BNO055,  which has and integrated processor to handle that information to get apart of complex codes.

My question is, does this BNO055 able to hanlde external forces with long term duration (1min>) and able to show accurate roll and pitch over turning movments or during taking off (about 0.3G lateral/longitudinal force) ?

Thank you so much.

4 REPLIES 4

FAE_CA1
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

BNO055 is a consumer grade IMU with built-in sensor fusion algorithms to output 100Hz Euler angles (pitch/roll/heading) at fixed location. It should not be used in real aircraft applications and it cannot handle fast linear acceleration when taking off or landing or turning.

Thanks.

Do you know any alternative or way to be able to do that application?

I dont know how is the behaviro of the Absolute gravity vector under long term accelerations.

Almost every filter online uses the gravity vector as reference.

FAE_CA1
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi,

Sorry that I don't know other ways to do that. You may do some online research for the AHRS system based on MEMS sensors in the applications of Drones or UAVs.

Thanks.

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello Juaxs,

1.Firstly, we will not recommend to use BNO055 to measure the attitude angles of real aircraft.
    2.Secondly, not only accelerometer, but also gyro would be influenced by the external force. usually, the g-sensitivity of the consumer gyro would be around 0.1deg/s/g, which means when you give an external force like 0.3g to the gyro, the bias on it will increase for 0.3deg/s. And that will influence the output angle accuracy.
    3.Thirdly, the sensor fusion algorithm needs the inputs from accelerometer, gyro and manetometer. Even you use a gyro with a good g-sensitivity, the output angles are still influenced a lot by the value change of accelerometer due to the external force.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist