Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BMA400 Breaking Glass Detection example

BMA400 Breaking Glass Detection example

kriswiner
    New Poster

On the BMA400 API github site is says: "...the BMA400 is the ideal solution for smart home applications such as smart indoor climate systems and smart home security systems. In the latter, the BMA400 can distinguish between real alarm situations (like broken glass) and false signals coming from random vibrations thereby avoiding false alarms."

Is there an example of the BMA400 configuration that is able to detect broken glass without false alarms from random vibrations? Does this require that the BMA400 is attached to the glass?

Is it possible to configure the BMA400 to detect loud sounds and trigger an interrupt (remote or unattached detection)while distiguishing from background noise and vibration levels? 

Any examples of these configurations or guidance on how to configure the BMA400 would be appreciated, thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello kriswiner,

If it is used to detect broken glass, where is the glass installed? Is the glass still after installation?

I am not describing a specific application here; I am not trying to detect glass breaking per se.

I am trying to understand the claim made on the github repo that the BMA400 can detect glass breaking relative to random vibrations.

I would like to see an example configuration of the BMA400 for this use case.

Is there an example Arduino sketch or c-program showing such a configuration? Can you provide a link?

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello kriswiner,

I collected some deisgn and use link, you could refer BMA400 usage to implement different kind of application.

https://community.bosch-sensortec.com/t5/Knowledge-base/BMA400-accelerometer-design-guide/ta-p/7397
    https://community.bosch-sensortec.com/t5/Knowledge-base/Introduction-about-BMA400-Auto-Wakeup-and-Au...
    https://github.com/BoschSensortec/BMA400-API/tree/master/examples

The following features will be used in this kind of application.

Auto wakeup + auto sleep + gen1: for low power consumption, switching between 0.8uA & 7uA
    Activity change interrupt: detecting the vibration.

Thank you for this excellent response.

While I currently make successful use of the low-power auto wake function, I find the discussion in the "Introduction-about-BMA400-Auto-Wakeup-and-Auto-Low-Power" link very useful and informative.

Is this available as a pdf?

I am still curious whether the BMA400 can be used for non-contact applications but I suppose I will have to experiment with this myself.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist