Important Cookie Information

This website uses absolutely necessary cookies. If you consent to the use of convenience cookies, please click “Yes, I agree.” By clicking on “Privacy Settings.” you can change this setting at any time and withdraw your given consent. Icon down see more You can find detailled information in our Privacy Policy Icon forward-right
Icon up see less

Bosch Sensortec Community

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BME 680 Gas resistance adc reading 0

Community Moderator

Re: BME 680 Gas resistance adc reading 0

Although we found some small changes compared to our sample code, nothing seems to justify the observed behavior. If this behavior is seen on multiple sensors as described in your first post and you have bought these samples from an official supplier, we would suggest that you contact them to replace these devices, and possibly have them run a deeper investigation about this failure as well.

Established Member

I'm out of my area here but if it were me;

I'd run the BME680 on an arduino board (or whatever) and use the supplied BME680 sample code (I use the "basic_data_logging.ino").

You might also check the soldering profile used when assembling your board.

Established Member

Hello,

thanks for your time checking my code and logs. For this proto batch I bought BME from Digikey, and all cards tried so far exhibits same behavior.

As JohnRob suggested, I'll try "cross-checking" my board with arduino+original demo-code, and may be try my code with an EVB if i manage to get one.

I'll also ask my PCBA about the reflow profile. Is there any assembly 'steps/method' that should be prohibited (I'm thinking about possible cleaning steps) ?

Highlighted
    Established Member

Hello,

I've eventually put a hand on a evaluation board with a BME680, plugged it in place of my daugthercard and it seems to be working (with my code): after an hour running in LP mode my "GAS" reading stabilized around 160K (ADC =~ 200 / range 6), and readings are actually moving with environmental changes.

So my issue seems definitely due to badly stored/handled/assembled BME680s, even if I'll likely never find the culprit...

Thanks for your support,

Laurent

Community Moderator

@The_DudE wrote:

I've eventually put a hand on a evaluation board with a BME680, plugged it in place of my daugthercard and it seems to be working (with my code): after an hour running in LP mode my "GAS" reading stabilized around 160K (ADC =~ 200 / range 6), and readings are actually moving with environmental changes.

So my issue seems definitely due to badly stored/handled/assembled BME680s, even if I'll likely never find the culprit...

Thanks for the feedback!

@The_DudE wrote:
    I'll also ask my PCBA about the reflow profile. Is there any assembly 'steps/method' that should be prohibited (I'm thinking about possible cleaning steps) ?

I would recommend going through the BME680's HSMI manual (Handling, Soldering & Mounting Instructions), hopefully this could provide some leads to what could have caused the behavior on your custom PCBs.

@The_DudE wrote:
    As JohnRob suggested, I'll try "cross-checking" my board with arduino+original demo-code, and may be try my code with an EVB if i manage to get one.

Just a last few comments about the provided code:

• Lines 289/290: I believe these were most likely added for debugging purpose, therefore if not needed I would suggest to remove them going forward.
    • Line 324: I believe the value you want to write via I2C is tmp_pow_mode rather than I2C_DATA[0] (that being said, you have nevered entered this code section based on your debug trace).
    Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist