Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BME280 recovery time of RH sensor after condensing environment

BME280 recovery time of RH sensor after condensing environment

derek
    New Poster

Hi all,

We have an instrument package that flies on an UAV and need a fast, low-cost T/RH sensor to measure the ambient conditions. The flight profiles will include tracks in and out of clouds (generally lower water content such as maritime stratus). I have read through many of the posts here describing issues using the BME280 outside and the data sheet states that this sensor if for non-condensing environments but since this has a lot of the specs we are looking for I want to see if it will work for our application. The sensor itself would be housed in an probe covered with gore-tex like material so there should be no liquid water reaching the sensor but we would be in cloud for periods of 30-60min and then fly another leg outside of cloud. How fast would the sensor recover after the high humidity? The airspeed of the UAV is ~15m/s.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

4 REPLIES 4

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello derek,

As long as the working conditions described in the specification are met, the sensor is working all the time.

BME280 humidity sensor operating range.png

Hi BSTRobin,

Thank you for the info. As a follow up, what happens when the sensor experiences working conditions outside the specified range (i.e., exposure to a high humidity environment)? Will the sensor recover? Is there a formula for how long it will take?

Thanks,

Derek

Hi,

Bumping this to check one more time if there is more clarity on this. BSTRobin said "As long as the working conditions described in the specification are met, the sensor is working all the time." Does this mean that if the sensor goes out of range (e.g., into a condensing environment) once it comes back into range it starts working again immediately? 

Thanks,
    Derek

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello derek,

As you could see above operation range table of temperature and humidity, for high humidity environment and recovery, it depends on the actual changes of the external environment, as long as the external environment is within the operating range of the sensor, it can get the correct results.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist