Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BME680 HUMIDITY SENSOR

BME680 HUMIDITY SENSOR

Guillermo
    New Poster

Hello,

I am carrying out tests with the BME680 sensor and have some doubts regarding to the humidity sensor that this sensor incorporates. I have used several humidity sensors that are on the market during these years, they were all capacitive, and none of these sensors supported the presence of organic volatiles compounds.

The BME680 sensor is being used to try to measure the presence of alcohol in a enclosed container, so I want to know how the presence of organic components affects the humidity sensor and if this sensor has any kind of protection for this type of compounds.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

o_o
    Contributor
    Hi Guillermo,

Sorry for the late reply. The BME680 contains 4 sensors : temperature, pressure, humidity, TVOCs.

The sensor detects and can operate in the presence of alcohol.

handytech
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

To add to the previous reply, VOCs may have an impact on capacitive humidity sensors, being either a temporary effect or a non-reversible one.

This will effectively always depend on the dose of the exposure and the environmental conditions, meaning the actual concentration of organic solvents, the duration of the exposure, temperature/humidity levels, sensors’ state, etc.

Our sensors are typically tested in appropriate scenarios for generic applications. Based on the numerous products where capacitive humidity sensors are already in use today, one could derive that normal ambient conditions are not critical to them.

Nevertheless, to decide if there might be a risk for the sensor, the application-specific boundary conditions have to be clarified and it has to be tested/assessed for the individual situation.

For such business inquiries, please contact your local sales representative: https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/bst/bosch_sensortec/distributors_sales_representatives_1/overview_di....

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist