cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BME680, IAQ and current consumption

BME680, IAQ and current consumption

Eisenbahn
    Occasional Visitor

Accoording to Datasheet the current consumption is arround 17mA at the time the hotplate is switched on. The temperature is reached after 20-30ms. After that time I would assume the current decreases to 12mA but it doesn't.  We are using the functionality of the BOSCH library and we don't underatsnd the implemeted algorithm in detail, however has anyone else observed this behavior and knows why this happens? Due to lib, are there options which can influence the current consumption for IAQ?  

Eisenbahn_1-1624255226631.png

Eisenbahn_0-1624255192219.png

5 REPLIES 5

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello Eisenbahn,

Thisi is BSEC introduction: BSEC library provides higher-level signal processing and fusion for the BME680. The library receives compensated sensor values from the sensor API. In order to fully provide the requested sensor outputs, Bosch Sensortec environmental cluster processes the BME680 signals and combines them with the additional phone sensors. The BSEC library offers a complete, easy to integrate software fusion solution out of one hand and thus eliminates the need for own fusion software development.

By the way, why do you want to know algorithm in detail?

Eisenbahn
    Occasional Visitor

Hello, 

We are working in the area of building lightning/automation, one of our goals is always to reduce the power consumption as much as possible. Typically our devices requires less then 4mA. The new sensor module uses the BME680 and now we meassure around 20mA. As I explained in my inital post the current should be less then 20mA!  I would assume that the current consumption changes during AIQ measurement, because the current mostly depends on the control of the hotplate. More current during heating up and then less. This is what we expect to measure. The temperature is changed in cycles and this should be visible in the current!? 

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello Eisenbahn,

It supports different power mode, could you tested it with low power mode?

BSEC gas sensor power-modes.png

Eisenbahn
    Occasional Visitor

We are ussing ULP-mode, yes if a measurment is triggered every 300s ( 5Minutes) then the average current is around 0.09mA. We have a problem with the peak current which is in ULP-Mode during measurement arround 20mA for 2 seconds.    If we rever to the Datasheet, only during heat up of the hotplate we expect 17mA typ. for 30ms and then a decrease to 13mA typ. 

Why does in ULP-Mode the BME requires 20mA for 2second?

Is there any option to have more short current peaks instead of one peak for 2 second?

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist