Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BME688 Intermittent Pausing With Sensor Output

BME688 Intermittent Pausing With Sensor Output

S_Brohl
    Established Member

Hello,

I am currently working with a single BME688 (on an Adafruit breakout board) connected to an ESP8266 (as is used in the Integration Guide) using the example code provided with the BSEC 2.0 library, and I have noticed some strange behavior with the sensor's output to the Serial Monitor. It seems that every so often the sensor outputs values and then pauses for about a minute (sometimes longer) and then begins reading/outputting again and then repeats.

I have tried implementing this sensor with BSEC 2 into my own project and I also notice the same behavior there as well. Even if I use one of the 3s configuration profiles I still see the exact same behavior. I was expecting that with the example code I would get a continuous output from the sensor every 3s (at least a gas resistance value), but it seems that is not the case. Is there any explaination for what is going on here? 

8 REPLIES 8

S_Brohl
    Established Member

Hi Robin,

Thank you for the reply!

So if I were to use a modified heating profile created in the AI studio I could change the heating cycles for a more continous measurement? I would like to avoid downgrading to BSEC1 if at all possible.

Also, the datasheet for the BME688 shows a continous mode of operation but there are no datatypes for it in the header files like there was for the BME680/BSEC1 library. Is this functionality no longer existent for BSEC2?

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello S_Brohl,

Suggest you to use BSEC1.
    There was BSEC1 SW integrated BME688 internally, which supported to get continuous output of 3S sampling rate.
    If you want to design a project with BME688, you could describe your project infromation and apply for it.

S_Brohl
    Established Member

Hi Robin,

So by switching back to BSEC1 I will not lose any of the functionality of the sensor? I thought the BME688 required the BSEC2 library in order to take full advantage of the AI capabilities?

My goal at the moment is to setup a single BME688 sensor alongside a particulate matter sensor for evaluation. Ideally I would like to run the BME688 in selectivity mode and have the PM sensor read out its values every ten gas resistance outputs.I know the PM sensor I am using reads values with a much quicker sample rate, which is why I limited it to every 10 gas resistance values from the BME688. However, the BME688 appears to go into a long sleep mode after so many samples and thus I am waiting much longer for the 10 gas resistance values and in turn also waiting much longer for the PM sensor values. This is why I would like something more continous, or at least a profile which skips the sleep mode or reduces it.

Additionally, I also have a dev kit which I plan to use alongside this setup so that I can create custom profiles for the 688/PM setup using the AI studio. I am targeting specifically the chemical components of cigarettes so I would like if I didn't have such long pauses intermittenly as I am gathering data. At the moment I am using the selectivity/generic configurations provided with the library, but I would like to use the AI studio to create my own algos/profiles.

S_Brohl
    Established Member

Also, is it possible to edit the heater profile manually? Say I want to adjust the current profile so it has no sleep cycles or one sleep cycle. Is that possible to adjust or do I need to go through the AI studio and create an algo just to get that configuration?

I would like to test out Heater Profile 332 from the AI Studio and change the cycles so it is continous, but without the AI studio and creating an algo this does not seem to be possible.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist