cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BMF055 vs BNO055

BMF055 vs BNO055

kxco

Hello, can someone please summarize the differences between BNO055 and BMF055.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

elrhoul
    Long-established Member

Hi,

There are differences on the features/performances, outputs and ODR (output data rate), tables below summarize some of the differences, you can also refer to the BSX lite integration guide, part of the BSXlite package available on our website for more information:

Key Features

BSXlite

BSX (full library) in BHI / BNO

Axis remapping

Yes

Offset correction

Yes

Yes

Soft Iron Correction

Yes

Accelerometer calibration

Yes

Yes

Magnetometer calibration

Classic: figure-of-eight

classic and advanced (fast)

Magnetic distortion check

Basic

Advanced

Gyroscope calibration

Yes

Yes

9-axis orientation

Basic

Advanced

Compass orientation

Basic

Advanced (adaptive filtering)

Data fusion modes

9-axis

9-axis & 6-axis (IMU, M4G, eCompass)

Outputs

BSXliteBSX (full library) in BHI / BNO

Virtual gyroscope (M4G)

Yes

Quaternions

Yes

Yes

Orientation

Yes (unfiltered)

Yes

Rotation matrix

Yes

Heading accuracy

Yes

Yes

Linear acceleration

x

Yes

Gravity

Yes

Gestures

Yes

Step counter

Yes (from BMI160 HW)

Yes

Significant motion

Yes (from BMI160 HW)

Yes

ODR

BSXLite 

BSX-Full 

Accelerometer

100Hz

Multiple & Dynamic

Magnetometer

25Hz

Multiple & Dynamic

Gyroscope

100Hz

Multiple & Dynamic

Thank you for the tables, that is very helpful.  

"ODR - BSXLite - accelerometer = 100Hz"

Does that mean the fastest I can sample with BSXLite is 100Hz?  How fast can BSX sample?

The datasheet for BMF055 is not very clear on how many samples per second I can read.  The only mention of 'Hz' I could find related to the accelerometer was filter bandwidth up to 1000Hz. 

It seems very strange how hard it is to find the sample rates.  It should be on front page of datasheet and flyer. 

Where do I find the sample rates?

elrhoul
    Long-established Member

Dear kxco

as mentionned in the table the Max ODR for BSXLite is 100 Hz, For BSX3 (version part of BNO055) the max ODR is 200Hz 

The ODR for raw sensor data (e.g accelerometers ) and BSX are not necessary to be the same. BSX may have a lower data rate than the raw sensor.

A customer developed application gets the fused BSX output at a consistent data rate, even though the individual sensors may be configured at different data rates.

Best regards

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist