Bosch Sensortec Community

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BMI270 gyro noise

BMI270 gyro noise

Anatol

Hello. I experience a very high level of noise from BMI270 gyro. My settings are:

0x7C PWR_CONF: 0x03; > low power mode;

0x42 GYR_CONF : 0x27 > ODR= 50 Hz;

0x43 GYR_RANGE: 0x04 > +/- 125 dps, 262 LSB/dps.

While still, I get rms noise about 50 LSB. It gives 0.2 dps - correct? Seems high but my application can tolerate it.

But when I move the bench with IMU fastened on it slowly over the table (without noticeable rotation) I get noise peaks about 1000...1500 LSB = 4...5 dps, it makes the data useless. My first idea was it is high frequency vibrations from friction between the table and my improvised bench, but when I mounted IMU on a dampfer (0.5 kg weight on 2cm elastic foam) - nothing changed.

And, near the same amount of noise when I tap by fingers on the table near the standstill IMU. But in this case there is definitely no vibration about 4 dps amplitude.

I tried OSR4 mode - seems even worse.

I'm not very experienced in those gyro/ accelerometer matters - do I do/understand something wrong?

The gyro data is needed mainly to calculate the tilt over the short time, to distinct acceleration from the gravity. 

I'm completely clueless what can cause such a noise, any ideas will be very appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

SterlingMinsha
    New Poster

Hello, I'm sorry I can't help you, because I have a similar problem. When I solve it, I will reply and inform you at the first time!

Hello SterlingMinsha , thank you in advance. Meanwhile, I tried another, better damper with 3 Hz resonance frequency (instead of previous 11 Hz).

Also, I found Cross Axis Sensetivity being about 2% instead of 0.2% in datasheet, onto Y axis so Gyroscope Data Post Processing described in part 4.6 of datasheet would not help, as I understand. Also, I found a too big influence of a static tilt around X and Z axis onto Y axis gyro readings, about ten times more than I estimate in thery. All that I tried to compensate in software, adjusting coefficients experimentally.

Now results are substantially better, but I still have about 0.5 deg error (random) of angular position (angular speed integrated) after a couple of seconds of a pretty slow movement and that is still too much for me.

Also I discovered errors are about 2 times less when I suspend the experimental bench on strings instead of moving on the table. In the last case there is no vibrations from friction and movements are smoother.

I would appretiate very much any data what precision of angular position and speed was achieved in reality, for slow movements. My goal is to achieve about 5 cm/sec velosity error after couple of seconds of movement at about 10 cm/sec and 10 deg/sec, little vibrations. And I got doubt if it is possible for BMI270.

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi Anatol,

It needs to be tested with a professional testing platform, not directly on the table.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist