Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BMM150 coordinate origin

BMM150 coordinate origin

misterMark
    New Poster

Where in the 1.56 x 1.56 x 0.6 mm body of the BMM150 magnetometer is considered the Origin ?    

I couldn't find any information in the datasheet about where the sensor is taking its measurements.

The geometric centre seems like a good bet, to minimize errors. but I would like to be as precise as possible here.

I'm using an array of BMM150s for my application, and I need to know their measurement point-coordinates for a model.

12 REPLIES 12

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello misterMark,

You could refer orientation of sensing axes in data sheet.

BMM150 orientation of sensing axes.png

That shows axis orientation with respect to the sensor IC body, but it doesn't indicate origin position.

There is no indication that the Dot on the casing is the measurement site, I think its just a landmark to show the top-right of the IC.

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello misterMark,

The magnetic field detection of each axis is independent.

I suppose you want to detect magnetic field with BMM150 array and want to know origin position for the array.
    For your previous description "I'm using an array of BMM150s for my application, and I need to know their measurement point-coordinates for a model.", could you give detailed description of your application?

Thanks for the quick replies, BSTRobin! 

That's helpful to know that the three axes are independent. Is there any data about where each axis is located?   The three origins would be helpful on their own, and could still help for my model.

Correct I am trying to use an array of BMM150s , and my model would benefit to know precisely where every measurement is being measured within the BMM150.  In my application I am sampling small, passive magnetic fields, and analyzing the gradient dropoff from the source. When nearby to a magnet, even a fraction of a millimeter can have a huge impact on the strength of the field measurements. So I'd like to be as precise as possble. 

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist