Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BMP384 for measuring pressure in alcohol saturated atmosphere

BMP384 for measuring pressure in alcohol saturated atmosphere

PeterGade
    New Poster

Hi!

We have been using the BMP280 for some time with great success to measure the pressure during a vacuum distillation of isopropylalcohol and ethanol. The distillation is run at around 150 mbar, and the temperature of the gasses that the sensor is exposed to is usually around 35 degrees. It has worked well for a long time, but i am worried that the sensor is not designed for condensing environments and therefor we have looked at the sealed BMP384 as an alternative. 

The sensor may also be subjected to low amounts of plant oils, but mainly isopropanol vapour at 150-200 mbar. It is positioned in its own isolated corned away from the actual boiling and the vapours escape path. We are currently testing the sensor by running it submerged in isopropanol (99%) and it looks fine. I wanted to see if i would poke the gel and feel the consistency with a small piece of wire and that seemed to ruin the sensor immedately. 

My questions are: 

1: Do you know what gel material the BMP384 is sealed with? Is it a type of silicone?

2: Is the material resistant to isopropanol and ethanol?

3: Will small amounts of plant oils disolved in the alcohol harm it?

4: Is the sensor supposed to very fragile towards mechanical "poking" with a wire, or was it caused by prolonged exposure to isopropanol?

I hop you can help me with answers.

Thank you, sincerely
    Peter Selmer Gade

Drizzle ApS

Are there any other sensors i should be looking at?

3 REPLIES 3

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello PeterGade,

1: Do you know what gel material the BMP384 is sealed with? Is it a type of silicone?
    This is confidential. This gel is used for waterproof.
    2: Is the material resistant to isopropanol and ethanol?
    This gel is resistance to liquid but need test results to prove no impact on chemical liquid.
    3: Will small amounts of plant oils disolved in the alcohol harm it?
    No such tests performed from our side. We only forced on water level protection.
    4: Is the sensor supposed to very fragile towards mechanical "poking" with a wire, or was it caused by prolonged exposure to isopropanol?
    For this question, lease describe more relative information.

Hello BSTRobin.

1: If we fill out a NDA, can we get the information? It is important for our application to know what it is restant towards. If you cannot provide the materiale type, can you provide me with test data of your internal tests?

2+3: Can you specify how we do the test? Can we inspect the gel under a microscope? Do you have standard ways of doing the tests?

4: I simply attempted to poke the gel carefully, but it ruined the sensor immediately.

Addition questions: How thick is the gel inside the component house?

Thank you. 

Sincerely
    Peter

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello PeterGade,

The gel for BMP384 is attached with thin film on bonding or other electric material which can not be visualized directly. The thick of the gel is confidential information that can not provide.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist