Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BMP390 water level measurement

BMP390 water level measurement

BorisVian
    New Poster

Hi,

I am using two BMP390 sensors (adafruit breakout board) to measure relative altitude (vertical distance between the two sensors).

I have setup both sensors to the values recommended in the data sheet for highest resolution and low noise:

• Highest pressure oversampling: x32
    • Recommended temperature oversampling: x2
    • Highest IIR filter coefficient: x128 

With this settings, I take forced measurements every second from both sensors at floor level of the same room. 

The pressure difference is close to zero (some calibration may be required) but I am also observing tha the difference fluctuates in a range 5Pa wide.
    Is that what I should expect given the accuracy specs of the sensor?

If that is the case, how can this sensor track the water level of a washing machine with mm precission? As the Bosh video (84) Water level detection in washing machines enabled by BMP390 - YouTube seems to suggest

thanks

7 REPLIES 7

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi BorisVian,

The relative altitude is measured on one sensor instead of using two sensors.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that the relatitive accuracy in the specs refers to a single sensor.

My question is whether the results I am getting in my setup with 2 sensors are to be expected or is there a way to improve them?That is also why I was refering to the video of the water level measurement application by Bosch: if it is possible to achieve mm accuracy with a single sensor, it must be possible to achieve cm accuracy with 2 sensors.
    The datasheet reads relative accuracy of +/-3Pa which is equivalent to +/-25m. How can the sensor in the washing machine detect mm changes?

I have run another test on a single stationary sensor. I am trying to replicate the results in the datasheet. In table 10 it reads that I should expect an RMS noise of 5cm under the following conditions:

• Pressure oversampling: x16
    • Temperature oversampling: x2
    • IIR filter coefficient: 4
    • RMS measured over 32 consecutive measurement points taken at highest sampling rate in a controlled pressure environment

The datahseet uses the term "average standard deviation" in paragrpah 3.4.4 but the term RMS in table  10. I have calculated the standard deviation over the 32 consecutive measurements and get results very much in line with the specifications: a standard deviation below 4cm.

The problem is that the moving average (over 32 consecutive measurements) does not stay within a min-max range of that order. Instead, it fluctuates over a range of 70cm (over a measuring interval of 5 minutes).

In this image you can see a summary of the results:

BorisVian_0-1653294027929.png

And here is the legend for the colors in the range

• Red:

Max value of moving average

Green

Min value of moving average

Orange

Moving average

Blue

Moving average  - half the moving standard deviation

Grey

Moving average + half the moving standard deviation

Since I cannot control the pressure in my environment, part of the fluctuations in altitude may be explained by fluctuations in the atmospheric pressure. Before I conduct other tests, I'd like to know if this falls within expectations: can atmospheric pressure fluctuate so much within 5 minutes?
    Or are these results in line with the sensor capabilities?

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi BorisVian,

+/-25m is the accuracy of air pressure equivalent to altitude, not the accuracy of water level.

After check, to get water level, formula "h=(P-P0)/ρg"—— we're supposed to substitute P as 50pa, ρ as 1000kg/m3, g as 9.8N/kg, and then we can get that h is equal to around 0.005m.

To use pressure sensor, the sensor needs to be calibrated first to obtain higher accuracy.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist