cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BNO055 Heading Drifts

BNO055 Heading Drifts

joshld
    Established Member

We appear to be getting a small number of BNO055 parts (with firmware 0x0311) come through that will ultimately see the heading drift over an extended period of time. The application requires a stationary sensor to not exceed 20 degrees in any of heading, roll or pitch over 12 hours. No issues with roll or pitch. Only heading. We have been ensuring that sensors are calibrated prior to running our tests on these few problem sensors and that they have passed self-tests. The sensors are configured for NDOF operation mode (0x0C).

Is there more we need to be doing? Should we be monitoring the calibration status of each of system, mag, gyr and acc? Are there other register entries we should be monitoring? Is it possible to determine whether sensors are faulty at all? - this would be most useful prior to deploying them out into the field, something that does not require testing over an extended period of time (more than 10 minutes).

Thank you in advance.

18 REPLIES 18

joshld
    Established Member

Hi kgoveas,

Here's a crude conversion from those logs to a csv-style format.

Thanks.

joshld
    Established Member

Hi kgoveas, o_o,

Any ideas?

Joshld.

Hi Josh,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I did take a look and your magnetometer data is very wrong, no question there. The accelerometer and gyroscope seems to suggest that the device is at rest, however the magnetometer offet changes radically. This MUST be coming from external sources.

clipboard_image_1.png

The magnetometer calibration status also reflects that. When it is 0/3, the magnetometer data in ignored in the sensor fusion, and heading drift is inevitable.

Hope that helps you find the problem.

joshld
    Established Member

Thanks o_o,

We'll take this into account and be sure to eliminate any external sources when these issues come up. However, these two sensors/boards were placed in the exact same environment, side-by-side in fact, while the test was run so I'm not sure it is as black and white as it may appear.

Further digging required on our end..

Regards,
    Joshld.

joshld
    Established Member

Also o_o, sorry I had not replied for a while either. I had not checked back into the forums for a few days.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist