cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BNO055 Magnetometer and External Fields

BNO055 Magnetometer and External Fields

jspear16

We have been playing around with some functionality of the BNO055, and decided to test out it's heading accuracy given a powerful external field (such as placing a permanent magnent) nearby, and to our surprise there was no change in the readings. We see that there is a functionality where it mitgates magnetic field distortion once it is calibrated, but it is still confuses us that, if something like a magnet is slowly brought close to the sensor from a significant distance, shouldn't there be some form of disturbance being detected? We like this functionality, but are skeptical of it's reliability. So, if I am completely incorrect with my assumptions, please correct me, and any explanation that can be given on this feature would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello jspear16,

There was sensor fusion software runs the calibration algorithm in the background to remove the offsets(acc, gyro, mag) inside BNO055.

Is this a proprietary software to Bosch? Is ther any other general information that you can share with me in regards to how the system makes these offsets? If not, that's understandable, but I would like to ask just in case.

Thanks.

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello jspear16,

The fusion algorithm runs inside the sensor and is not officially released. You can configure how to use it through the register instructions in the data sheet.

Ok, just to put a cap on this thread, it can be said that the driving algorithm used in the BNO055 is robust enough to tell the difference between a magnet being brought close to the device, and an actual change in position because of the combination of data from all three sensors?

I am assuming this is correct, but I just want to end in clarity.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist