cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

BNO055 System Error Code: Register map address out of range

BNO055 System Error Code: Register map address out of range

Frank25
    New Poster

Hello i am currently working with the BNO055 driver api (version 2.0.6) that is provided by BOSCH.My sensor software revision is 3.11. I am having a bit of trouble calibrating the BNO055 sensor. No matter how long i try to calibrate the sensor the SYS_Calib status remains 0 however i am able to get the accel,mag and gyro fully calibrated. i heard that the sensor can still be used if accel,mag, and gyro all reach 3 and that its ok to ignore the sys status but i would like to confirm this. I would like to reuse the calibration profile but the offset values that i am seeing are all 0 except for the mag radius which is 480. I suspect that these offset values are mostly zero because the sys  status that was not fully calibrated but i am not sure. I have also noticed that the system error code register is set to 5 which means that  "Register map address out of range" as stated in the manual. The system error code register is always at a value of 5 after the bno055_init function and i am not sure why. I suspect that this might be the reason why the sys status wont change at all. I have another BNO055 sensor that is new and has the same software revision 3.11 and it works completely fine running the same code and the system error code register on the new one is 0. I would like to get my other sensor to work though because it used to work before and this problem only started recently. I am using the read template function from BOSCH's api with some added code to read the system error code register and calibration so its nothing special, i dont think the code is the issue as i have said before it works on the new sensor. Is there any thing i can do to fix the system error code value of 5? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi Frank25,

Which mode you configured?
    When I configured BNO055 mode to NDOF mode with BNO055 shuttle board, calibration status of accel, gyro, mag, system could reach up to 3. What about your test environment?

Hi, thanks for the response.

I am not using the shuttle board, but instead using the bno055 sensor sold from adafruit. I am also in NDOF mode and my test environment is just my room, so nothing special. I read in another forum post that the sys status may have a bug that causes it to get stuck at 0. the link to the forum post is below:

https://community.bosch-sensortec.com/t5/MEMS-sensors-forum/BNO055-offsets-amp-radius-when-reusing-c... 

Apparently if you update the firmware it may resolve the issue that causes sys status to stay at 0. However there does not seem to be an easy way to update the firmware unless perhaps you know of a way to do so without use of the application board?

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi Frank25,

If you install development desktop software, you could refer document "C:\Program Files\Bosch Sensortec\Development Desktop 2.0\DD2.0_BNOxxx.pdf" to upgrade BNO055 firmware.
    The firemware could be download from https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/software-tools/tools/development-desktop-software/

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist