Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

BNO055 mounted vertically

BNO055 mounted vertically

skinnychris
    Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I've just started exploring using the BNO055, so please excuse my question if it's dumb. I chose the sensor because of the availiblity of Euler outputs, and that's what I'm using.

I have the sensor working correctly providing it's flat, but I wish to mount the sensor vertically. When I try using the sensor vertically, and try to remap the axis using the AXIS_MAP_CONFIG register I can't seem to get it to work. In my case, Y remains as the default reset value, but X and Z axis are swapped.

After the remap, Y doesn't seem to output anything sensible. With sensor vertical and stationary Y goes from 180 towards 0, or -180 towards 0, depending on the rotation around Y. The output of Y seems to start lagging the motion and not truly representative of the angle of its been rotated by.

Am I missing something here, like the remap doesn't work with Euler, or you can't mount the sensor vertically?

Cheers,

Chris

6 REPLIES 6

FAE_CA1
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry. Please refer to the app note at https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/media/boschsensortec/downloads/application_notes_1/bst-mhs-an001.pdf for more informaiton regarding axes remapping.

Thanks.

shellywang
    Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to draw a picture to show the target coordinate and chip location? Meanwhile, need to know the value you set(AXIS_MAP_CONFIG & AXIS_MAP_SIGN).

soroush
    Established Member

I have a similar problem with vertical mounting.

I am using the GitHub BoschSensortec/BNO055_driver for my application and I can successfully set and validate the following setting
    AXIS_MAP_CONFIG:    0x06
    AXIS_MAP_SIGN:         0x00
    but I observed the unexpected behaviours as follows:

• remapped Acc_x pointing up reads -g 
    • remapped Acc_y pointing up reads +g 
    • remapped Acc_z pointing up reads +g 

2. From a level attitude, when I roll or pitch the board, let's say, +A deg, the corresponding angle first shows a +A deg and then changes to -A deg and stabilizes, as if the gyro and Acc axes sign do not agree in the sensor fusion engine.  

by the way, I also tested with android and windows output format and it seems the problems still exist.
    I would appreciate any advice on axes remapping.

FAE_CA1
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi,

Please see the attached "BNO055 axis remapping.pdf" for more information. After BNO055 axis remapping the only visible axes will become device body X/Y/Z axes (not BNO055 sensor x/y/z axes) and the pitch/roll/heading definition can be found on page 4 of BNO055 quick start guide document at https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/media/boschsensortec/downloads/application_notes_1/bst-bno055-an007.....

Thanks.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist