Important Cookie Information

This website uses absolutely necessary cookies. If you consent to the use of convenience cookies, please click “Yes, I agree.” By clicking on “Privacy Settings.” you can change this setting at any time and withdraw your given consent. Icon down see more You can find detailled information in our Privacy Policy Icon forward-right
Icon up see less

Bosch Sensortec Community

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

Data sheet clarifications needed

Data sheet clarifications needed

Dear Team, 

I am writing my master thesis in a company on aerospace and its applications. We are currently working on MEMS sensors and I have a tool to run the performances of MEMS sensors based on the specifications and a model that has been developed. I am currently on analysing the performance of Bosch accelerometer and gyroscope products.

Based on my model and definitions, I am currently having a few confusions with the data sheets for the sensors. I will ask for both accelerometer and gyroscope. They will be like in the following;

Questions for BMG160 gyroscope;

1) I see on the data sheet that the ‘senstivity’ value has a unit of LSB/°/s. Is this parameter corresponding to scale factor, as an effect on the input/output ratio of the device? If so, how can I convert this to a unit of %(divide by 8 maybe?)? If not, which parameter value shall I use as a scale factor for my calculations available in the data sheets?

2)I see ‘cross axis sensitivity’ parameter. Is this parameter the same thing with the non-orthogonality of the 3-axis? If not, can I have a detailed definition for that parameter?

3)On the data sheet, I can’t see the misalignment error of the sensors(3 gyroscopes). Is this error considered on the model or is it given as a different parameter or calculated differently? My main consideration is to distinguish the non-orthogonality of the 3 axis measurements and the misalignment of the 3 different sensors because I have different parameters for both in my model.

Questions for BMA400 accelerometer;

1)Similar to the above case, which parameter shall I refer to as the scale factor?

2)What exactly is the ‘Alignment Error’?

3)Why is the unit for the non-linearity ‘%’ ? Shouldn’t it be a function of the true acceleration?

4)Also similarly to the above case, is there a term for the misalignment of the sensors (with respect to each other) in the sheets?

The documents I am referring are BST-BMG160-DS000-09 revision 1.2 and BST-BMA400-DS000-02 revision 1.1 .

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Tags (1)
    8 REPLIES 8
    Community Moderator

Re: Data sheet clarifications needed

--Similar to the above case, which parameter shall I refer to as the scale factor?

The parameter sensitivity can be taken as the scale factor. And please note that the range of this parameter can be calculated as: in 2g range, (Value_max/min – Value_typical)/Value_typical, here is (1065-1024)/1024= 4%; (983-1024)/1024=-4%, so in summary +/- 4%

--What exactly is the ‘Alignment Error’?

The alignment Error is refer to the direction mis-alignment between the MEMS(sensing part) and the package outline. so the real detecting direction of the X,Y can be a slight different from mounted direction(outline package).

--Why is the unit for the non-linearity ‘%’ ? Shouldn’t it be a function of the true acceleration?

the non-linearity can be calculated/measured: max(output_measured – output_expected) / full-range , so this is why the unit is %

--Also similarly to the above case, is there a term for the misalignment of the sensors (with respect to each other) in the sheets?

The min/max value of each parameter represent the 3σ, which means 99.73% sensors are within the (u-3σ, u+3σ) range, so this can be taken as the difference between sensors.

And the non-orthogonality seems more like alignment error.

Thank you for the clarifications! Now I can read the data sheet in a better way. Only another question is that on the data sheet, I can't see the min and the max values for the sensitivity and non-linearity, I only can see the typical values. How can I obtain the min and max values in this case?Also, how can one obtain turn on-turn off bias and the bias in-run stability?

Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi rozerinaktas,

This data is measured but not publicly available. Please contact your local sales representative to learn more.

https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/bst/bosch_sensortec/distributors_sales_representatives_1/overview_di...

Community Moderator

You can calculate the minimum/maximum scale factor in the following way:

Scale factor error (sensitivity error) = |min/max – typical|/typical

00.png

Can you elaborate on the bias and bias instability? We actually have parameters named 'zero-g offset' and 'zero-g offset temperature drift'.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist