cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Debugging the BHI260AP through cJTAG

Debugging the BHI260AP through cJTAG

Noxz
    New Poster

It is desireable to be able to debug the BHI260AP while developing a custom firmware (custom external sensors and algorithms), otherwise tracking down bugs will be painfully slow. 

Is there a good reference as how to accomplish this? The available datasheets and programming guides do not have much more than a paragraph on this. 

The chip uses 2-wire cJTAG.. Are there reccomended hardware debuggers to use in order to connect and step through code? An inexpensive cJTAG compatible device that I came across is the CC-DEVPACK-DEBUG from TI, although this operates at 3.3v and VccIO for my BHI260AP board (currently evaluating on the Mikroe Smart Sens 2 Click, mostly because of [in]availability of the shuttleboard) is at 1.8v, so I will need some level shifters inbetween (correct?). Is the RESET pin a necessary connection for 2-wire cJTAG?

ARC GNU IDE (from the SDK) appears to come with OpenOCD for debugging, and claims to support ARCv2. Due to `stuffelf` being used post compilation to generate the actual firmware files, is there a debug configuration profile available that is able to upload the firmware to the device and run the code with breakpoints? It wouldn't make much sense to be required to upload through a host/flash when compact-JTAG is available.

I do not wish to purchase The ARC® MetaWare Development Toolkit as the provided SDK is supplied with the GNU based setup.

Thank you,
    Christopher

4 REPLIES 4

Noxz
    New Poster

Looking into the SDK further, I see there was a `gdb` folder in root which actually contained a lot of information, including openocd files.

Also in there the `Digilent HS-2` JTAG cable is referenced..

Assumingly this will provide everything required, but is there any additional information available on the setup that may be helpful?

Thanks,
    Christopher

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi Noxz,

Current SDK supported debug code by printf, haven't support step through code by JTAG.
    You could develop a custom firmware by adding print information, this is the fastest and simplest debugging method.
    The SDK supporting JTAG needs to be applied separately and is not officially released.

printf is an unacceptable form of debugging when there is JTAG clearly spelled out the first page of the datasheet. Support _must_ be provided for it. printf is _not_ a faster method of development, and only easier to those unfamiliar with basic step-wise debugging.

The programmer's manual makes reference to `"BHI260AB-BHA260AB In-Circuit Debugging Guide" Provides methods for in-circuit debugging using the JTAG rotocol in combination with a debugging environment.` but I am unable to find this document. Please make this available (or send it directly to me).

I will continue to pursue debugging the chip (I do require hardware for this as all of my other debuggers are either on-board or limited to ARM, this is my first ARC based processor), but I would prefer to have the stated supporting documents to make my life easier.

Thanks,
    Christopher

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi Noxz,

We gladly publish all publicly available info, but sadly are unable to share the requested info within the community.
    If you design a project, you could provide your contact information, then we evaluate your project first.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist