Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

General questions about BNO055

General questions about BNO055

CLin
    New Poster

Hello,
    I am looking for a suitable IMU for a scientific project and came across the BNO055 and I have the following questions.

Purpose: The sensor should detect small movements at a defined position on a vehicle while driving and for this purpose the sensor should be mounted in a rectangular body, which in turn is screwed to the vehicle.

I have the following questions that I couldn't read from the data sheet:
    - Does the installation position have to be taken into account, i.e. does the z-axis have to point to the sky and the x-axis always to the front (always flat, never upright?) (graphic data sheet p. 24)?
    - Does the sensor have to be calibrated first or can I mount the sensor in the body and then calibrate it afterwards?
    - Would the sensor detect deviations from the geometric center in this way, or does the sensor have to be mounted in the geometric center of the body?
    - If I understand the data sheet correctly, then I only need to do the calibration once and can keep it for life?
    - Can the calibration config be reused as long as the sensor is permanently installed in the body? Because the body including the sensor is attached to different vehicles.
    - Do the sensors work with a first or second order low-pass filter?
    - Is there any public information about the data fusion algorithm?
    - I know the connection between the coordinate system on p. 25 and the coordinate system on p. 24. What is the coordinate system on p. 25 supposed to tell me?
    - How should the default sensor positions on p. 24 and p. 25 be understood? The default coordinate system is shown on page 25 of the data sheet. But on p. 26 in the table, P1 is the default value, which, however, describes a different sensor positioning.
    - Do all three sensors work according to the MEMS principle?

Many greetings

8 REPLIES 8

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello CLin,

BNO055 is a consumer grade IMU with built-in sensor fusion algorithms to output 100Hz Euler angles (pitch/roll/heading) at fixed location.
    When the sensor was mounted to vehicle, could you elaborate on what to do with the sensor? Are safety related applications designed as it was used in vehicle?

Hello BSTRobin,

I want to show the movement of front sensors on vehicles while driving. To do this, the sensor is removed and a dummy with the IMU is used. Does that help you to answer my questions?

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello CLin,

Because the application is automotive. We need to know your application in detail in order to evaluate whether BNO055 is suitable for your application? Could you give a detailed description of your application?

Hello BSTRobin,

the car has a radar in the front bumper. This radar is removed and a 3D printed model of the radar housing is assembled and I build the IMU in the 3D printed model. The bumper deforms due to the air resistance while driving and this causes the slightest movements (yawing, rolling, pitching). The movements are a few degrees. I want to measure these movements and have them displayed on my laptop. An Arduino is installed between the laptop and the sensor. Either the sensor gives me the finished position (=output from a signal that I can insert into an xyz diagram) or the axis values, so that I can calculate the position myself. Does this help you?

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist