Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

General questions about BNO055

General questions about BNO055

CLin
    New Poster

Hello,
    I am looking for a suitable IMU for a scientific project and came across the BNO055 and I have the following questions.

Purpose: The sensor should detect small movements at a defined position on a vehicle while driving and for this purpose the sensor should be mounted in a rectangular body, which in turn is screwed to the vehicle.

I have the following questions that I couldn't read from the data sheet:
    - Does the installation position have to be taken into account, i.e. does the z-axis have to point to the sky and the x-axis always to the front (always flat, never upright?) (graphic data sheet p. 24)?
    - Does the sensor have to be calibrated first or can I mount the sensor in the body and then calibrate it afterwards?
    - Would the sensor detect deviations from the geometric center in this way, or does the sensor have to be mounted in the geometric center of the body?
    - If I understand the data sheet correctly, then I only need to do the calibration once and can keep it for life?
    - Can the calibration config be reused as long as the sensor is permanently installed in the body? Because the body including the sensor is attached to different vehicles.
    - Do the sensors work with a first or second order low-pass filter?
    - Is there any public information about the data fusion algorithm?
    - I know the connection between the coordinate system on p. 25 and the coordinate system on p. 24. What is the coordinate system on p. 25 supposed to tell me?
    - How should the default sensor positions on p. 24 and p. 25 be understood? The default coordinate system is shown on page 25 of the data sheet. But on p. 26 in the table, P1 is the default value, which, however, describes a different sensor positioning.
    - Do all three sensors work according to the MEMS principle?

Many greetings

8 REPLIES 8

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello CLin,

1. We need to take the sensor off every time if we need to calibrate it. Because we need to rotate the sensor while calibrating. And the offsets would change after some time for MEMS sensor. That's what we called Bias Repeatability. So we need to calibrate them periodically. For your application, it is impossible to calibrate only once and use it permanently.

2. When you detect slight movements of bumper in car, do you have any requirements for the resolution of the detection?

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello CLin,

Could we know your further feedback?

Hello BSTRobin,

I don't need any help right now. I have the sensor with me and will first carry out tests.

Best regards

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello CLin,

Thanks for your feedback.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist