cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

How to detect tap or impact using bno055 sensor or using any other sensor

How to detect tap or impact using bno055 sensor or using any other sensor

zubair2207

Hello everyone,

We are using bno055 and we want to detect tap or impact on a physical instrument, so how to configure bno055 to get the tap or what is the process to find.

We also want to know is this possible to detect impact using bno055 or we should use different sensor. We have mounted the sensor on a physical instrument and now want to detect impact when someone hits the instrument, how this can achieve. Right now we are getting readings for orient, accel, and others. Any help will be highly appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

FAE_CA1
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

The accelerometer inside BNO055 supports total 3 interrupts: Any-motion (slope), Slow/No-notion and High-g. If you want to detect if someone hits your instrument, then Any-motion interrupt is sufficient. You can put BNO055 in CONFIG mode and then configure accel any-motion interrupt parameters such as threshold, duration, enabling interrupt and mapping the interrupt signal to INT pin. Then you can put BNO055 to work in NDOF sensor fusion mode. If hit motion is detected, you should see a pulse on the INT pin.

When BNO055 NDOF sensor fusion is running, the accel is fixed at +/-4g full scale range and 100Hz ODR (output data rate). If the above any-motion doesn't work for you, then you can add another standalone accel BMA400 to your design.

Thanks.

Hello, 
    Thanks for your response,

I am getting the raw data of acceleration, gyro, mag from the sensor but unable to detect any clue regarding impact. I have the sensor and data I am getting from it, please mention what should be the way to calculate such impact spike from the sensor, how can I use the raw data of acceleration to create impact data. Basically we want to detect the impact between cricket ball and cricket bat when they collide.

Kindly guide us if bno055 is suitable to do this job or not, if not what are options and if yes then some guide on how to do that.

Regards

FAE_CA1
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi,

I am not sure if you want to detect an impact when the cricket bat hits the ball or you want to measure the impact in the unit of g for the hit motion. If you just want to detect the impact, then you can use BNO055 any-motion interrupt and set the threshold to +/-3g with duration 1 sample for example. When the cricket bat hits the ball that is more than +/-3g, BNO055 will give you an interrupt signal meaning that the impact is detected.

If you want to measure the impact, then you need to find another accel that has higher full scale range such as +/-50g with fast sampling rate such as 1KHz.

Thanks.

Hello,

Yes we want to detect if bat and ball collide or not while playing the game. I have attached an image kindly check. Please mention which library is suitable for this task

Regards

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist