Bosch Sensortec Community

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    SOLVED

Orientation Error in Yaw of BNO055 in 9DOF Mode?

Orientation Error in Yaw of BNO055 in 9DOF Mode?

A_Levy
    Established Member

Hello All, 

I am trying ot use a BNO055 sensor for Inertial Navigation and Pedestrain Dead reckoning. While i was doing some indoor tetsing the other day i got some very strange results that I suspct are errors in the yaw of the sensor. I had the sensor set to 9DOF mode. 

For this test, i walked around a large square three times. Does anyone know what could be causing this change in orientation in the data... it looks like the orientation outputted from the BNO055 in 9DOF mode is not working.

As you can see in the photo, the yaw of the sesnor changes, does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? could i be something to do with the calibration of the sensor? I already know that doing tests indoor with a magnetometer may be error prone.

Thank you for your help.

27 REPLIES 27

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello A_Levy,

We had a test with BNO055 USB stick, attachment was log file. We could see the system accuracy drop to 3 sometimes, but it can be back to 3.

Let's narrow down the issue, which one is you want care first?
    the sys accuracy drop
    yaw drift

If you care yas drift first, you could test it, and give out your requirement, test result.

A_Levy
    Established Member

Hello BTS_Robin, 

Thank you for your reply. Our first problem is the system calibration drop away from 3/3 (i think that is cauing the dirft in the yaw). Here is a CSV file from one of our recent tests. 

This data was taken with the BNO055 Development Kit and Shuttle, aswell as the most recent firmware. Given we are using this hardware and firmware i cannot figure out why the CS value spends so much time away from 3/3.

ALevy

A_Levy
    Established Member

Hello BTS_robin, 

I took a look at the sample data that you sent. I notcied that the system calibration data spends most of its time not at 3/3. THis is exactly the problem that we're experiecneing.

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hello A_Levy,

System accuracy change because of the changes in the surrounding environment. I think you should care yaw drift first, you could see previous log file that accelerometer calibration status, magnetometer calibration status, gyroscope calibration status  were 3.

Please focus on yaw drift first, with your test and requirement, we analyse it again.

Thanks.

A_Levy
    Established Member

Hello BTS_Robin,.

The yaw drift is being caused by chnages in the system calibration. Should the system caliubration value not alos read 3/3 the entire time?

Our yaw drifts whenever the CS values drops from 3/3. These are the same problem. We believe that the root of the probelm is the System calibration value. Even in the latest CSV that you sent me, your CS value flutuacted away from 3/3 a lot.

Alevy

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist