Bosch Sensortec Community

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

The Guide to Building your own BME688-based eNose Application without Using the BME AI-Studio

The Guide to Building your own BME688-based eNose Application without Using the BME AI-Studio

mrdreambot
    New Poster

Dear fellow Forum users,

As you all know, Bosch provides Arduino-based firmware examples and the BME AI-Studio for training AI models to identify different smells using the BME688. You can collect your training data and save it on a SD card by using the sample firmware. The BME AI-Studio is proprietary software which allows you to train your AI model based on the training data and generate a configuration file and a meta information file about the AI model in a JSON-like format which you put on a SD card and insert into the BME688 Evaluation Kit to run your model.

Unfortunately,  I was not getting the results I expected using these proprietary tools (likely due to my own faults and ignorance).  I went on a journey to develop my own firmware by enhancing a BSEC2 (Bosch Senortech Ennvironmental Cluster 2) library example and train my own AI model using Jupyter notebook and scikit-learn.

I also built a REST API for the trained AI model and an AI application using it to predict smells, containerised them and pushed the container images to the quay.io repository.

You can now just run the container images on Podman, MicroShift or OpenShift. If it does not work for you due to different sensor drift and ageing characteristics between my sensor and yours, then  you have to retrain the AI model using my Jupyter notebook.

All documentation including the architecture, Jupyter notebook, training data, scripts, deployment instructions and source code can be found in my Github repository.

An accompanying video can be found here.

A link can also be found in my Github repository's README.md file.

I hope the info can help you with your project or at least provide you with an alternative.

I welcome your feedback and suggestions.

MrDreamBot

3 REPLIES 3

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi mrdreambot,

For your feedback "Unfortunately, I was not getting the results I expected using these proprietary tools (likely due to my own faults and ignorance). " If you encounter any problems while using BME688 software and tools, you can provide a specific description of your problem for us to check.

Dear BSTRobin,

I did ask in this Forum regarding the issues I encountered back in 16-08-2023, topic "BME688 Mobile App Live-test always say it is coffee". A couple of other forum users said they encountered the same issues that I had. I posted more info here but there was no working solution proposed other than a list of actions to try  out which I did. Therefore, I had to find my own way to resolve them. I did not see this as a negative thing and had no negative sentiment towards the company or the product. In fact, it provided me with a chance to experiment and learn more about your excellent BME688 sensors. I just wanted to share what I learned with my fellow Forum users here.

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi mrdreambot,

We expect to get your further feedback in the topic https://community.bosch-sensortec.com/t5/MEMS-sensors-forum/BME688-Mobile-App-Live-test-always-say-i... and check it by us.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist