Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Inquiries about Odometer and IMU

Inquiries about Odometer and IMU

nexreal
    Occasional Visitor

Hello, everyone

I am working on a self-auto-driving small indoor robot (not a drone)

which has Helios2 Wide ToF Sensor

and want to do SLAM map generation using Google Cartographer on Ubuntu 20

(PC is Intel NUC 13 Pro)

For this project, I want to receive each real time

1. the time stamp

2. current location or velocity

3. rotation, euler angle

4. angular moment, linear acceleration etc

all of above

For this, I want to buy and use Bosch Sensor

May I ask

Which product or products will be the  best choice(s) for this project??

Also, can I receive sensing data on Ubuntu via serial or USB 2.0 port??

Thank you and have a nice day

3 REPLIES 3

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi nexreal,
    For your indoor robot product, you can use BMI088 https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/products/motion-sensors/imus/bmi088. But for algorithm part, you can run MCU side or Ubuntu side.

The sensor supports I2C or SPI interfaces, but doesn't support USB interfaces. You can use MCU to communicate with sensors and forward the sensor data to Ubuntu through the USB interface of MCU.

nexreal
    Occasional Visitor

Hello, Robin:

Nice to meet you. How are you?

Thank you for your help and kindness

May I ask you further question?

1. Does BMI088 offer realtime timestamp and current location or movement velocity(directional) between two timestamps?

2. Also, I guess BMI088 provides API SDK. Is that SDK running on Ubuntu 20?

3. Can I manage transmission of data via SDK? Anyway I should receive data thru USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports

Please help me with this further issues

Have a nice day and see you again, Robin

Take care

BSTRobin
    Community Moderator
    Community Moderator

Hi nexreal,

1.BMI088 provided sensor time, without current location or movement velocity(directional) between two timestamps. More information, you can refer to BMI088 data sheet https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/media/boschsensortec/downloads/datasheets/bst-bmi088-ds001.pdf
    2.There is BMI088 sensor API and example code on Github https://github.com/boschsensortec/BMI08x-Sensor-API. The sensor API was written by C language, normally it run on MCU.
    3.BMI088 supports I2C and SPI communication, does not directly support USB transmission.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist